What are PG and VG?
In simple terms:
- PG and VG are the odorless liquids that are combined with flavor and nicotine to create e-juice.
- Both PG and VG technically belong to the alcohol chemical class (despite the name, they are not intoxicating). They have deemed sugar alcohols and are included in many consumable products.
- They produce vapor when heated, which allows them to be inhaled.
- PG and VG are not oils, and can’t cause any of the medical issues—like lipoid pneumonia—that inhaling actual oils can.
- The two fluids have a different consistency to each other and a slightly different taste.
- They have distinct mouth and throat sensations when vaped.
- Most modern e-liquid uses a combination of the two fluids, though the ratio can vary dramatically.
- Some vaping set-ups can only work with a certain level of PG and VG.